Gurney Honoured at International Historic Motoring Awards
The 2015 International Historic Motoring awards took place in London last night, at a gala dinner featuring some of the major players in what has been one of motorsport’s growth areas in recent years. The Lifetime Achievement award went to Dan Gurney, although he was unable to attend and his award was accepted by Sir Stirling Moss, the 84-year-old recognised for his myriad achievements form being one of a select band of racers to have won in Formula One, Indycar, NASCAR and international l sportscars, to his creation of the famous All American Racers team and their Eagle racecars.
Car of the Year was given to the mighty Fiat S76 that has entertained at meetings this year, Duncan Pittaway hating brought the aero-engined monster back to life after decades away from the tracks. The prestigious Motorsport Event of the Year title went to the recent Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca, Porsche’s historic meeting at the California circuit that drew in almost 60,000 spectators and saw some classic racers from the German marque in race and demonstration action.
On a star-studded evening hosted by TV’s Steve Rider, other notable recipients included Porsche Historic Motorsports for their work in restoring over three years the Porsche 917K that won the 1971 Spa 1000km in the hand of Jackie Oliver and Pedro Rodriguez, and Julius Thurgood took Personal Achievement of the Year. The HRDC Touring Greats founder was recognised for his work on The Academy, which provides a route into historic racing.
Full List of Winners:
- Lifetime Achievement (sponsored by Richard Mille): Dan Gurney
- Car of the Year: Fiat S76 ‘The Beast of Turin’
- Club of the Year (sponsored by Footman James): Benjafield’s Racing Club
- Industry Supporter of the Year: McPherson College Automotive Restoration Program
- Motoring Event of the Year (sponsored by EFG): Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille
- Motorsport Event of the Year: Rennsport Reunion
- Museum or Collection of the Year: Mercedes-Benz Museum
- Personal Achievement of the Year (sponsored by HERO Events): Julius Thurgood
- Publication of the Year (sponsored by Hortons Books): ‘The Magnificent Monopostos: Alfa Romeo Grand Prix Cars, 1923-1951’ by Simon Moore
- Race Series of the Year (sponsored by Lister Motor Company): Classic Endurance Racing
- Rally or Tour of the Year (sponsored by Jaguar): Royal Automobile Club 1000 Mile Trial and The 2015 Highland Tour
- Restoration of the Year (sponsored by The Heart of England Forest): 1971 Porsche 917K, Porsche Historic Motorsports, Weissach
- Specialist of the Year: 3D Engineers